Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Earring Club

I like earrings. I like them a lot. This means that I strongly feel you can never have too many of them. There is nothing better than a fest, where there are stands full of earrings to look at and pick from to buy. My favorite ones are unusual, one of kind, different. Ones that stand out from the crowd.

But what I have recently noticed, is that there are other women like me. We like to have unusual earrings. Not just sometimes, but all the time. It is something that defines us. I am wondering if this is some sort of outward sign of our inner personality. Are we part of that group that marches to a different drummer? Or do we just want to be creative and lack real talent for painting or pottery making and this is our outlet. Perhaps it is a little of both.

I know I used to be a rebel, a flower child wanna-be, and somehow different from others. I never knew why or how exactly, but I always felt this rather deeply. As the years went by, I guess I got more conservative, I learned how to be responsible and be a mom, and an everyday person working in an everyday world. Part of that is wearing the uniform that helps you fit in. Though I recently got my first set of pearls from my husband and enjoy wearing them, there is still the part of me that wants the kind of job where I could wear outrageous, gorgeous, dangly earrings every single day. So, I compromise. I wear earrings that are gorgeous but small, kind of dangly, one of a kind, unusual colors and shapes, and hand-made if possible.

I had a thing for animals for a while and have a large collection. Zebras, fish, parrots, pigs, frogs, etc. I don't wear them too often, but I still like having them. When I worked at a daycare, the kids enjoyed seeing which earrings I wore each day, which was fun.

Now my favorites are murano glass, silver filigree, turquoise stones, mother of pearl, amethyst, green glass, ethnic, and so on and so on. I enjoy opening my jewelry box every morning and picking out what to wear. I guess some women are like that with shoes or clothes or their nails, but with me, it is just earrings.I also enjoy it when someone notices my earrings and says something about them. I always compliment women when I like their earrings. It is sort of a bond when we recognize this in each other.

So I came up with the idea that we should start an earring club. We women who like to wear our "special" earrings. Maybe we have more in common than just our cool earrings. I'm not quite old enough for the "red hat" club, and not real sure if I would fit in with any of the other "womens clubs" that are around. Perhaps there are other women out there that feel this way too. Lets get together and celebrate being different. Write and let me know if you are an "earring woman" too.

No comments: