Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy Anniversary to my Husband

Today is our 5th wedding anniversary and I chose to put this letter of love on the internet for the entire world to see. If I could, I would shout it out, I would go on Oprah, I would take out full page ads in the New York Times, just to let everyone know how very much I love this man.

I am often in awe of how lucky I am to have a husband like this. He is thoughtful, loving, caring, strong, supportive, handsome, intelligent and funny to boot. He is wise and takes his time before answering me or anyone else, which is a skill that I certainly haven't been able to master. Probably because of this, everybody likes him, cause you couldn't ask for a better friend. Though I would also say he is my friend, my very best friend, the most important thing is that I get to love him and I know he loves me. I never felt this way before, that someone loved me like this. So it is pretty darn special and I adore him even more because of the effect he has on me. It is so wonderful to have this feeling of being loved without having to do anything in return. I had this feeling from my kids, especially when they were small, but it is way different when it comes from another adult.

It is fun thinking back to 5 years ago and remembering what we were doing. We had taken the overnight train to Denmark 2 days earlier. It was supposed to be a sleeper train, but it was so noisy, I don't think anyone slept on it. We went to a small town called Christenfeld which was absolutely lovely. Our hotel was an old farmhouse with a thatched roof that had been renovated quite nicely. The food there was fabulous too. But the best part was getting dressed in my wedding dress 5 years ago. I was so excited and as I walked downstairs, David was waiting with the camera to catch me emerging from the hotel. What a surprise! He had never seen my dress, so it was special having him see me like that. A friend had made me a small, delicate wreath for my hair, with dried flowers and ribbons and even the hotel employees said I looked beautiful. I had really long hair then, so it did look quite pretty.

We made our way to city hall and nervously waited our turn. When the time came though, to say our vows, it was like a lifetime of yearning was being answered with a huge YES, this moment is for you two people to have and enjoy. I know I leaked at the eyes just a bit, but then all I wanted to do was laugh and smile. We were married! Gosh, was it really 5 years ago? You know what they say, time flies when you are having fun, and this is one marriage where you will always hear lots of laughter.

I love you honey, and Happy Anniversary

No comments: